(WTVM) - Hurricane Michael has strengthened to a Category 4 hurricane on the Gulf and will make landfall Wednesday.
Residents in the Chattahoochee Valley could expect widespread tree damage, power outages that could last for days in the hard hit areas SE of Columbus. Structural damage is also possible.
Here are a few things you can do to prepare and ensure safety for the weather coming this way:
- Avoid walking or driving in flood waters
- Close storm shutters if possible and stay away from windows
- Turn your refrigerator or freezer to the coldest setting and open only when necessary
- Make sure your phone is fully charged
- Have a first aid kit and non-perishable items nearby such as:
- Plan how to communicate with family members if you lose power
- Create an evacuation plan if necessary
- Review insurance plan and take steps to protect your home
- Move anything in your yard that can become flying debris inside your house or garage.
- Do not leave your pets outside
You can download our WTVM Weather app to stay updated on the latest weather details.