Residents Rescue Neighbor from Burning Home

By Lindsey Connell - bio | e-mail

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -  Columbus fire officials are saying two residents rescued their neighbor from a burning home.

The fire started around 9 this morning at a home on Plantation Road in South Columbus.

Officials say it started in the laundry room and spread to the attic.

Firefighters got the fire contained quickly but the real story is the action taken by neighbors to get a resident with down syndrome to safety.

"They came outside and saw what was going on, went over and he's taught not to answer the door but they got him to answer the door and then they got him out of the house. They should be commended for it. It was awesome what they did and then they turned around and called the fire department. They did a great job," said Battalion Chief Terry Herring.

"We knew we had to get him out. We checked everything before to make sure fire wasn't in the house and he's ok. We did the right thing and we know it," said neighbor Carol Abrams.

Firefighters were able to put out the flames before they spread to the rest of the house.