North Columbus Shooting Ends in Murder -, GA News Weather & Sports

North Columbus Shooting Ends in Murder

24-year-old Maurice Hollis was murdered Sunday night. 24-year-old Maurice Hollis was murdered Sunday night.
23-year-old Clarence Mahone 23-year-old Clarence Mahone
25-year-old Carlos Brown 25-year-old Carlos Brown
33-year-old Kubiat Ekperikpe 33-year-old Kubiat Ekperikpe

By Lindsey Connell - bio | email | Twitter

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -  Twenty-five-year-old Carlos Brown, 33-year-old Kubiat Ekperikpe and 23-year-old Clarence Mahone are charged with the murder of 24-year-old Maurice Hollis.

It all started Sunday when police say Hollis, Brown and their friend Ekperikpe went to the Main Street apartments near Columbus Park Crossing looking to buy drugs off Mahone, then rob him.

Police say at least one of the men had met Mahone before and thought he would have drugs or money on him.  

They went up to Mahone as he was going into one of the apartments and during an altercation in the stairwell investigators say a shot or shots were fired, leaving Hollis with a gunshot wound to the head.

Brown and Ekperikpe drug Hollis to their car and drove him to Saint Francis Hospital where he later died.

They were arrested and so was the initial target, Mahone.

Police say Mahone hid from them after the shooting at a local hotel. He also had a stolen gun when he was arrested, piling on an additional weapons charges since he is a convicted felon and is not supposed to have a gun.

Investigators say his handgun was stolen from the Northside Pawn Shop back in 2006.

His girlfriend, 20-year-old Ashleigh Cleveland, was also arrested in connection with the crime. She's been charged with hindering the apprehension of a criminal. Police say they talked to her after the shooting since she was in the area when it happened but she said she didn't know anything about it.

But when police tracked Mahone down to the Wingate Hotel, she was in the room with him.

As for Maurice Hollis' family, they say the Phenix City resident and father of two will be missed.

"He was an all-around good person and everyone who knew him knew that he had good intentions in life. He just sometimes made bad decisions but I just hate it had to turn out that way. I lost my brother, people lost their friend, his kids lost their father so it's hard," said his brother, Mike Hollis.

"It's a life gone but everybody just has to come together and be strong and we'll make it through," added Al Cooper, a close friend.

Hollis's family is in the process of making funeral arrangements.

The three suspects are scheduled to appear in Recorder's Court Tuesday morning. 

WTVM will continue to follow the story and bring you the latest information.

Powered by Frankly