COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Hang on to that receipt, you'll need it for a return! Every store policy is different and some even change for the holidays.
The ConsumerWatch Team tracked down dozens of retailers to get the details on their return policies.
Best Buy - Items purchased from Nov. 1st - December 24th can be returned through January 31st. This excludes laptops which still have a 14 day return policy.
There's also a re-stocking fee on some items like laptops, GPS systems and cameras.
Wal-Mart - Generally anything can be returned within 90 days of purchase, but there are some exceptions.
- Computers and postpaid cell phones must be returned within 15 days.
- Computer components and accessories must be returned within 45 days.
- Camcorders and digital cameras must be returned within 30 days.
- Prerecorded music, movies, and software products must be returned unopened.
Toys "R" Us - From December 26th through January 9th, customers can return items regardless of the purchase date as long as they have a receipt.
For Internet purchases, all orders with an "Order Date" of November 1st, through December 24th, can be returned either by Friday, January 15th or with the current 30 day return policy, whichever is later.
Sears - Items purchased from November 14th through December 13th which normally fall under the 90 day return policy will be extended to 120 days and items such as electronics, software and mattresses will be extended from 30 to 60 days during the same period.
K-Mart - 90 days on most items.
JCPenney - With Original Receipt:
- 90-day time limit -- no refunds/exchanges will be issued 90 days after the date of purchase
- Refunded at the original purchase price.
- Refunded in the original method of payment (cash, credit card, etc.)
-No receipt and purchased within 90 days:
- Price refunded will be the lowest on-sale price within the last 30 days, plus sales tax.
- Refund issued in the form of a JCPenney Merchandise Return Voucher, or credit to a JCP Charge Card if purchased with card.
- Also, when items are returned without a receipt, the return is at the discretion of the store manager and the customer would get the current sale price in the form of a gift card
Gamestop - Does not accept returns of:
- Any product(s) returned more than 30 days from the date on the packing slip.
- Any product(s) that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap).
- Any product(s) not in its original condition.
- Any product(s) that is damaged, played, or is missing parts.
- Any product(s) that were sold as part of a bundle, unless the bundle is returned complete
Dillard's - Receipt, packaging and proof of purchase label is typically required for returns.
Macy's - Limitations on some items. For example, rings are considered custom and cannot be returned.
Office Depot -14 days for electronics like computers and cameras. The policy also applies to furniture.
Home Depot - Some items can't be returned and no online items can be returned in-store.
Overstock.com - Can't return TVs over a certain size.
Amazon.com - Some strict limitations on returns. No computers after 30 days and there's a 15% restocking fee for computers and fine jewelry.