Flames break out at Columbus landmark - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Flames break out at Columbus landmark

By Web Staff – email | Twitter

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – The owners and workers at a well known Columbus restaurant will not be starting the new year off in business.

That's because Ruth Ann's Restaurant sustained major damage in a fire that was so large officials had to close off streets.

The blaze erupted Wednesday night around 6:30.

Investigators say the fire started in the kitchen and literally went through the roof.  Fire officials say an electrical short in the door switch going into the restaurant's walk-in freezer to have caused the fire.

The owners say crews are already clearing out debris and helping rebuild. 

No injuries were reported and we're told the restaurant isn't a total loss.  It's estimated the fire caused $100,000 worth of damage to the property. 

©2009 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly