Columbus family is left without a home due to fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Columbus family is left without a home due to fire

By Roslyn Giles  - email | bio

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - "I lost everything, I don't have nothing, I lost my money, I had $600 to pay my bills and I don't know what I'm going to do," those are the words of Mary Shabazz, just hours after a fire destroyed her Lawyers Lane home in Columbus.  Shabazz says she noticed smoke coming from the living room while she and her husband were watching TV in their bedroom.

"I kicked the AC unit out and it was like an angel that pushed it out the window.  I got my husband to the window and went back out the window to get my neighbors to help, but they were scared. I went back in and by the time I got to him, the fire department came and pulled him out and my dog," says Shabazz.

The American Red Cross didn't waste any time assisting Shabazz.  Don DeRoche, Disaster Chairman, showed up with pen and paper ready to lend a helping hand.  When asked where she wanted to shop, Shabazz replied, "Piggly Wiggly."

But that's not all she is getting, Shabazz and her husband will each get $190.00 for clothes and shoes. "She's going to stay with her daughter, normally we would put her in a hotel and we will provide for her daughter as well.

The family lost everything; all of their belongings are charred. But, Shabazz says she's just thankful she and her husband are alive.

A space heater reportedly caused the fire.

©2009 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly