Victim's brother tries to attack suspect in court

By Roslyn Giles  - email | bio

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - The family of Elizabeth Shingles 18, came to Recorder's Court Wednesday morning to hear testimony in the case against Leo Matthews, 32.  He's accused of killing Shingles.

Police say he hit her with his van as she sat on the front porch Monday night.

Muscogee County coroner, Bill Thrower, says autopsy results reveal Shingles died from blunt forced trauma to the torso.

Wednesday morning the case never got underway. The victim's brother Anthony Shingles came with a mission in mind.

His mother frantically tried to intervene as deputies rushed to get him under control.  "I was trying to cool him down because I have already lost one child; I don't want to lose another and he go to jail," said Mable Shingles.

Anthony made his move before the proceeding started.  It was a scary moment ,but the deputies got the situation under control within minutes. 

News Leader 9 caught up with Anthony for a one on one interview after the ordeal.  "If he ever gets out, they're going to drink tea together. I'm telling you, I'm tell her and I'm telling God."

When asked, Are you not afraid of what could happen to you if you do something to him? Anthony replied, "That will never cross my mind."

During the commotion, Matthews was temporarily removed from the courtroom as deputies led Anthony away without incident.  He was not arrested.  Matthews was brought back in and told to face the wall away from the family while the judge read off the bonds.

The key witness, Breionne Lee, couldn't stop crying while in court. Her mother said, "we're going through enough" when asked if she wanted to talk to the media. 

Lee was sitting with her friend, Elizabeth Shingles, when the situation unfolded at the Sands Apartments on Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.

The judge set bond at $25,000 for the vehicular homicide charge and over $10,000 for the other related charges ranging from DUI to reckless driving.  Matthews enter a plea of not guilty to all charges. Afterwards, the hearing came to end with no testimony for safety reasons.

©2010 WTVM. All rights reserved.