By Curtis McCloud - email
FORT BENNING, GA (WTVM) - An executive order sent down by the commander and chief earlier last week will bring good news to some families in Fort Benning.
"I made it clear that by August 31, 2010 America's combat mission in Iraq would end. And that is exactly what we are doing-as promised, on schedule," President Obama said.
Being on schedule is what the president is aiming for, as part of the draw down of the U.S. troops in Iraq the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Benning has been ordered by the United States Division South Commander to send about 600 troops home early.
That means a 12-month stint in Iraq will end a couple of months early for some Fort Benning troops.
Earlier Friday, brigade Commander's in Iraq told News leader 9 that Iraq is ready for the withdrawing of troops and are doing a good job holding their own.
"The Iraqi security forces are def up to the task, they have already demonstrated throughout the election last march proving that security effort, that they can get the job done," Col. Pete Jones said.
Re-deployment is no easy task, 1st Brigade Surgeon Captain Doug Dudewicz spoke on the upcoming change for some of the troops."Transition periods are natural points of high stress and redeployment is a transitional period, just as moving, getting a divorce, or having a child," Dudewicz said.