Remembering 9/11: Share your stories

(WTVM) - Join News Leader 9 as we honor those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 -- the day our nation was attacked. 

Millions across the United States will honor this event on Patriot Day, Saturday September 11.

Still, 9 years later, that day is fresh on the minds of millions. Close to 3,000 people lost their lives in New York City, Pennsylvania and at the Pentagon.

Around the nation, people are honoring with gratitude the courageous firefighters, police officers and citizens who stepped up to save hundreds after four hijacked commercial airplanes crashed at the three sites listed above.

This attack also sparked a war in which Fort Benning soldiers have fought.  

News Leader 9 wants to hear from you. Do you have any thoughts of appreciation? Do you have any stories to share from that day? What were you doing the day our nation was attacked? What will you tell your children and grandchildren about 9/11?

Just send your thoughts and comments to or leave your thoughts in the comment section below.

©2010 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Your Stories

On September 10, 2001 I was in Lubbock Texas.  I was scheduled to leave at 7:30 a.m. on September  11, 2001.  Instead I took the last flight out of Lubbock on the 10th.

  I had a lay over in Houston Texas.  I boarded a Continental flight early the morning of  9/11/2001.  I arrived in Atlanta around 7:30 am.  After arriving home (I was living in Atlanta at the time),  I was going into the office and clear some business matters and return home to catch some sleep.

  I grabbed a quick shower and as I was getting dressed I turned on the TV just in time to see the first news story on the attack.  If I had stayed and caught my original flight, I would have been caught in Houston Texas, with no way to get home. 

I have kept my boarding pass from that day with the 9/11/2001 date.  As the day progressed it became apparent how close I came to being caught up in the events of the day.  It was reported that box cutters where found taped under seats on some planes in Atlanta (may have just been a rumor). 

I do know the financial district was shut down in Atlanta.  I came back to Columbus that night.  It was eerie how the roads were clear and there was no air traffic at Hartsfield.  When I arrived in Columbus, you could see planes that were diverted to Columbus sitting on the field.



Once again, the calendar rolls around to that date. The 9-11 Date.  In my lifetime, I usually only remember two important historical dates that impacted the whole world.  The First Man on the Moon and the day John Kennedy was shot.  I know where I was, what time it was and how I felt on those two memorable days.  One was a proud feeling when we reached the moon and the other was of sorrow for our country in the loss of our president.  Not until 9/11 did I feel that our country banded together for a united cause.  I know where I was on 9/11; do you remember where you were and how you felt?  

My husband and I were in an airplane backing away from the terminal in Atlanta, Ga. on our way to Washington D.C.  It was about 9:10 a.m. and we were ready to depart.  It seemed like an unusually long time when the pilot's voice came on the speaker and announced that there had been a plane accident somewhere and we were on hold from the tower and could we please be patient.  In a very few minutes, the pilot once again spoke and told us there had been another plane crash and our country was under acts of aggression. He did not explain where the planes had crashed or what had happened.  The calm and quiet inside the plane were louder than any spoken words you could ever hear. 

We were told to wait and we would be given information on what to do when we got back into the terminal.  By the time were allowed to enter the airport again, all the TV screens were showing pictures of the attack and speculation of other crashes. Within minutes the airport was full of military personnel, civilian police and guard dogs.  These men were dressed in gear I had never seen before.  They had machine guns, rifles, mask, and other such equipment for crowd and riot control.  People were standing in lines to use the pay telephones; cell phones were down and use was almost non existent at that point.  I never learned if access to cell phones were off because of some type of satellite connection or if the lines were jammed because of the crashes.  In any event, about an hour later after standing in line at a pay phone, we assured our children that we were not on the plane to Washington. 

We all cried each time we spoke to family members. We (as in hundreds of people) were told to line up and report to the luggage area where we identified our bags via filling out papers on each piece of luggage.  Our bags were to be checked by security and returned to us at a later date.  We just wanted to go home. We began hearing info from other passengers that this airport could be locked down because it was a major airport.  After reporting the identifying marks for our luggage, we walked to our car, left the parking garage and started home.  On the ramps from the interstate, we met buses of military personnel, police cars, and motorcycles.  What we never heard was an airplane.  During the long ride home to Auburn, we probably met only two or three other cars on the highway.  We listened to the radio to get the update on our country's position and we prayed. 

I'm not sure any of us who remember so well the events of 9/11 will ever have the same laid back, lackadaisical attitude about peace again. Peace is such a small word to contain such a positive and significant truth.  

We will never forget the day our plane almost took off to visit our nation's capitol.  Peace is now the ability to rest at night and be comfortable in our own homes and we should all be thankful for those who protect us everywhere.


Auburn, AL