LaGrange family loses everything in fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

LaGrange family loses everything in fire

LAGRANGE, Ga. (WTVM) – A LaGrange family picks up the pieces after a fire destroyed their home. The blaze, which took firefighters more than three hours to fight, began while the couple was out running an errand.

It began as a typical Sunday afternoon for the Goss family. They were gearing up for the work week doing laundry and running errands. But, the family says being gone for thirty minutes and leaving the dryer on may have sent their entire house up in flames.

The home is the first Jen and Chad Goss shared since getting married three years ago.

"There's a lot of sentimental stuff in this house that I know between the two of us we'll never get it back again," Chad Goss said.

On Friday, the couple, parents of six, returned to the one-story home they've rented for about a year at the hopes of salvaging anything they can get their hands on.

But, they say what gives them hope is those who have shown support by donating clothes and other items. The Goss' are just thankful no one was hurt.

"All of this is just material stuff," Jen Goss said. "Knowing that your family made it out is the most important."

The family says the fire started in the laundry room. The dryer is suspected to have sparked the blaze.

"We ran a thirty minute errand and came back to nothing," Jenn explained.

The family says the painstaking lesson of leaving the dryer running unattended is one she hopes others will avoid.

"I do it all the time," she said. "I'll never do that again."

The Goss', living with family now, say they did not have renters insurance and estimate damage at close to $80,000.

The family is need of any house ware items and toys for the kids.

You can call the number below to get more drop off information or stop by to make a donation.

DJ's Guitar Shop
1411 Hogansville Rd LaGrange
Georgia 30241 
(706) 882-5158

Powered by Frankly