Columbus apartment fire leaves six families homeless - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Columbus apartment fire leaves six families homeless

By Curtis McCloud -   bio | email

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)-  At least five families have been displaced from their apartment following a Wednesday evening fire at The Links of Maple Ridge off Schomburg Road.

Three weeks after moving into her apartment, Deyanna Green's home is completely destroyed. She shares a connecting kitchen with the apartment where the fire started.

"He bammed on the door and I got up and ran outside and when I looked to my left- all I saw was flames," Deyanna Green

"It's just real unfortunate for a lot of families in that building who don't have anywhere to stay," said Green.

According to Columbus Battalion Chief Terry Herring, the call came in just after 5:30 p.m. Wednesday night.

Herring says the fire started after grease caught fire on a stove. The person who lives there tried to put the fire out with a towel, but grabbed her baby and rushed out of the apartment.

"Fire burn up through the cabinets, burning through the attic space and when we arrived the fire was already burning through the roof," Battalion Chief Terry Herring said.

Green says she will pick up the pieces and re-build. Thanks to the Red Cross and her family, she has a place to stay tonight, but leaves a word of caution to others cooking during the holidays.

"Please be safe, please know what you are doing, know where your fire extinguishers are and if you have a fire knock on the people's door," Green said.

"If you have anything on the stove please don't leave it, because our number one fire that we got year round is food on the stove," Chief Herring said.

©2010 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly