Fort Benning Ranger indicted in explosives case

Sgt. Stuart Adcock
Sgt. Stuart Adcock

By Lindsey Connell - bio | email

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -  A Fort Benning soldier accused of having illegal explosives has been indicted by a federal grand jury.

Sergeant Stuart Adcock, 23, is charged with giving false statements to the FBI and transporting unregistered explosives.

Adcock was arrested on January 20th on Fort Benning by members of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the FBI.

He is a Ranger in the Third Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment on Fort Benning.

In an affidavit filed by a special agent with the ATF, it says a confidential source contacted authorities on January 20, 2011, about Adcock, saying that he had seen Adcock with a grenade at the source's house in North Carolina. Agents say their source has military experience and knew what the grenade was. The tipster told federal agents Adcock told him he had other grenades, as well as several blocks of C4 with detonation cords and flash bang grenades at his home in Columbus.

That afternoon Adcock was located on Fort Benning and interviewed by FBI agents. They say he denied the claims and did not possess any grenades. He agreed to a search of his apartment off Milgen Road in the Hampton Place complex.

Agents and Adcock left in separate vehicles and when they got to the complex, they met his girlfriend who was seen walking along a wood line behind their unit.

Numerous agents searched the apartment but didn't find anything illegal. They were about to leave and decided to check the wood line where they say they found one live fragmentation grenade, two flash bang grenades and one starburst (military flare). Officials say those items are illegal in the civilian context.

According to documents, Adock's girlfriend, Megan Wencel, admitted that he called her when he was on his way from Fort Benning and told her to hide the items.

She is also named in the indictment and charged with giving false statements to FBI for allegedly denying that the grenades were in the apartment.

When agents confronted Adcock, they say he admitted that he had lied to agents about having the explosive devices and that he told his girlfriend to hide them before officers got to the apartment.

Adcock has been released into custody of his chain of command on bond. He is restricted to his unit.

FBI agents tell WTVM it is unknown if the explosive were taken from Fort Benning back to Adcock's Columbus apartment or if they were brought back from when he was deployed to the Middle East.

Copyright 2011 WTVM. All rights reserved.