Check out these energy-saving tips! - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Check out these energy-saving tips!

From the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs 

MONTGOMERYAs the world marks the 41st annual Earth Day, Alabama's state energy office reminds residents that making energy efficiency an everyday habit is the best way to protect the planet and their pocketbooks.

The Energy Division of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs works year-round to help Alabama residents, businesses and governments increase energy efficiency in order to cut both expenses and pollution.

"The best way to observe Earth Day is to practice energy conservation every day of the year," ADECA Director Jim Byard Jr. said. "Making a few changes to reduce your daily energy consumption helps the environment, reduces our reliance on foreign oil and saves you money."

ADECA recommends these simple, everyday tips to help residents conserve energy and save money on their energy bills year-round:

  • Use a programmable thermostat on your heating and air conditioning unit to preset the times it will heat or cool. As a result, the unit doesn't operate as much when you are asleep or at work. You can save around 10 percent a year on your utility bills by simply turning your thermostat up 10 degrees for eight hours in the summer or down 10 degrees in the winter.
  • Caulk and weather-strip windows and doors to stop air leaks. A crack as small as a 16th of an inch around a window frame can let in as much hot air in the summer and cold air in the winter as leaving the window open three inches.
  • Lower the thermostat setting on your water heater. For each 10-degree reduction in water temperature, you can save between 3 percent and 5 percent in energy costs. Reducing your water temperature to 120 degrees Fahrenheit reduces mineral buildup and corrosion in your water heater and pipes.
  • Use Energy Star-rated compact fluorescent light bulbs. With incandescent light bulbs, only 10 percent of the electricity used is turned into light while the other 90 percent is wasted as heat. Switching to a compact fluorescent bulb will save you about $30 or more in electricity costs over each bulb's lifetime.
  • Fix leaky faucets. A faucet that leaks one drop per second can add up to 165 gallons a month. That's more water than the average person uses in two weeks.
  • Enable power management functions on computers and monitors to automatically put them into standby mode when not in use. 
  • Keep your vehicle's tire pressure inflated to manufacturer specifications. Having properly inflated tires increases fuel efficiency by 3 percent to 5 percent.

Visit www.adeca.alabama.gov/energy for more tips you can use to save energy at home and at work.

  • LocalMore>>

  • Columbus woman shot on Cusseta Road Thursday morning

    Columbus woman shot on Cusseta Road Thursday morning

    Thursday, July 20 2017 8:30 AM EDT2017-07-20 12:30:07 GMT

    Columbus police confirmed a woman was shot early Thursday morning on According to police, the shooting happened on the 2000 block of Cusseta Road near 25th Avenue around 5:30 a.m. 

    More >>

    Columbus police confirmed a woman was shot early Thursday morning on According to police, the shooting happened on the 2000 block of Cusseta Road near 25th Avenue around 5:30 a.m. 

    More >>
  • Most Wanted: July 2017 Rigdon Road shooting

    Most Wanted: July 2017 Rigdon Road shooting

    Wednesday, July 19 2017 10:33 PM EDT2017-07-20 02:33:21 GMT
    (Source: WTVM File)(Source: WTVM File)

    Three people shot, one died, and a gunman is a free man as Columbus police need help to take this person off the streets.

    More >>

    Three people shot, one died, and a gunman is a free man as Columbus police need help to take this person off the streets.

    More >>
  • Whitewater in Columbus, 5 years later

    Whitewater in Columbus, 5 years later

    Wednesday, July 19 2017 11:17 PM EDT2017-07-20 03:17:42 GMT
    (Source: Aaron Lee/WTVM)(Source: Aaron Lee/WTVM)

    It was five years ago when the Chattahoochee River in Columbus changed, and the economy surrounding the river changed as well. 

    More >>

    It was five years ago when the Chattahoochee River in Columbus changed, and the economy surrounding the river changed as well. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly