Elderly woman dies in Birmingham house fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Elderly woman dies in Birmingham house fire

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Birmingham officials say an 85-year-old woman died and two other family members were critically injured in a fire at their southwest Birmingham home.

Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service Battalion Chief C.W. Mardis says it appears food left cooking on the stove sparked the blaze early Sunday.

Mardis says firefighters arrived in the pre-dawn hours and pulled three victims out of the home. All three were in their beds asleep when the fire broke out.

Jefferson County Chief Deputy Coroner Pat Curry says Myrtlene  White Wilson was taken to UAB Hospital where she was pronounced dead from smoke inhalation.

Her husband, James, and grandson, 26-year-old Desi Wilson, were taken to area hospitals where they were in critical condition.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.

Powered by Frankly