COPY-Student bitten by snake during P.E. class - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

COPY-Student bitten by snake during P.E. class

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - A high school freshman was taken to a hospital after being bitten by a snake during an outdoor physical education class.

Authorities say the student was bitten on the back of his leg Tuesday afternoon at Huffman High School.

WBRC-TV reports (http://bit.ly/rWT2yS) that the snake is not believed to be poisonous. The student was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Michaelle Chapman of Birmingham City Schools said outdoor P.E. activities were canceled for the remainder of the day.

Officials searched the field, which is near a creek, but did not find a snake.

Information from: WBRC-TV, http://www.myfoxal.com/

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly