ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A 76-year-old Albany woman was rushed to the hospital Tuesday night after a fire in her home at 618 5th Avenue, a little before 10 p.m.
Firefighters say that Sylvia Peterson set the fire herself with smoking materials in a trash can in her bedroom, and a caretaker got her out of the house.
The fire did $50,000 damage to the home.
Peterson was in fair condition at Phoebe Putney Hospital shortly after midnight.
Paramedics said she did not suffer any burns, but she was having some trouble breathing when they arrived.