Deadly fire caused by child playing with lighter - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Deadly fire caused by child playing with lighter

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - The state fire marshal's office says a fire that killed three children in a Union Springs apartment was started by a child playing with a lighter.

Investigators tell WAKA-TV the fire started on the sofa in the apartment's den.

Authorities say 4-year-old twins JaDarius and JaLaya Smith and 13-month-old Ta'Nyah Shell all died of smoke inhalation in the Monday morning fire.

The fire marshal's office says mother of the twins and tenant, Shameka Smith, was looking after the children, but left them alone briefly to visit a neighbor. She found the fire when she returned.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly