Far and Away

The Year – 1936

The Place – Shanghi, China

xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" / 

My Father was in the Navy and stationed on the USS Arizona, my Mother was an immigrant from Poland and living in China.  They both took film to the same little Chinese shop to get their film developed.  When my father picked up his film, somehow a picture of my mother was mixed in with his pictures.  He went to the clerk and asked how to locate this beautiful lady.  The clerk said he could not tell – Missy will be very angry and please to give back picture.  Of course he refused.  Instead my father came back every day that he could and waited for her to pick up her pictures.  When she got there to pick up her pictures of course she was missing one.  Upon leaving, my father stopped her and asked if she had lost something.  Since he was in uniform and she had been warned to stay from the sailors, she rudely told him it was not his business.  Then he presented her with the picture.  Of course she was surprised.  He explained how he got her picture and said it was fate and they were meant to be.  Would she please accompany him to dinner.  She nervously agreed and they married.  My father was sent to the Philippines and of course she followed.  I was due in June 1938 and my mother had a very difficult birth, and somehow a naval doctor was involved in my birth.  That is when the trouble started.  The rules were very strict and he had not been able to get permission to marry my mother.  So they found a civilian Priest and married anyway.  My father was discharged from the Navy (dishonorably).  The stigma followed him in the United States and the only job he could find was selling food from a cart.  He saved and saved every penny he could and finally somehow they got through all the red tape and since I was considered a citizen of the United States, they were  finally reunited in Los Angeles, California when I was one year old.  I too believe in fate…..if he were allowed to stay with the Navy, he would have probably have been killed during the bombing of  Pearl Harbor.  It took him 9 years but was finally able to clear his name and joined the Army.  My father Brady W. Adams died in 1990.  My mother Marie Adams is a resident of Fountain City Nursing home.  Many of her care takers call her Queenie, because she still dresses every day.  Wearing her dresses and stockings and makeup.  Although she would rather be home, she understands her handicap most of the time and is still a very dignified and charming lady and still very much in love with my father.