Auburn town home destroyed in fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Auburn town home destroyed in fire

A candle may have sparked a fire that destroyed an Auburn home at the Shelton Mill Town homes located off E. University Drive. (Source: Curtis McCloud) A candle may have sparked a fire that destroyed an Auburn home at the Shelton Mill Town homes located off E. University Drive. (Source: Curtis McCloud)

AUBURN, AL (WTVM) – An East Alabama man and his dogare homeless after an early morning fire destroyed their town home.

Luckily the elderly man who lives next door to Deborah Hickokescaped the fire with minor injuries.  Hickokwas working in her office when she heard screams from next door.

"I looked out the window and I saw what I thought was somesmoking so I grabbed my cell phone and on my way out I grabbed a tinyextinguisher from under my sink."

Battalion Chief Joe Lovvorn with the Auburn Fire Division sayswhen crews arrived the one unit was completely involved and the fire wasstarting to spread.

"We believe the fire did start from a candle that was leftnear a sofa that got into the sofa and started into the living room area andthen spread throughout the unit," Lavvorn said.

When fire crews arrived the elderly man was already outside of thetownhouse. He had rescued his dog from the fire. Chief Lovvorn says that theman left the house and came back to a raging fire.

Deborah Hickok and other neighbors are thankful no one was hurthowever her cat Bo was frightened by the fire and sirens this morning and ranaway.  She is praying for his safe return.

Copyright 2012 WTVM. All Rights Reserved. 

Powered by Frankly