Auburn town home destroyed in fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Auburn town home destroyed in fire

AUBURN, AL (WXTX) – An East Alabama man and his dog are homeless after an early morning fire destroyed their town home.

Luckily the elderly man who lives next door to Deborah Hickok escaped the fire with minor injuries.  Hickok was working in her office when she heard screams from next door.

"I looked out the window and I saw what I thought was some smoking so I grabbed my cell phone and on my way out I grabbed a tiny extinguisher from under my sink."

Battalion Chief Joe Lovvorn with the Auburn Fire Division says when crews arrived the one unit was completely involved and the fire was starting to spread.

"We believe the fire did start from a candle that was left near a sofa that got into the sofa and started into the living room area and then spread throughout the unit," Lavvorn said.

When fire crews arrived the elderly man was already outside of the townhouse. He had rescued his dog from the fire. Chief Lovvorn says that the man left the house and came back to a raging fire.

Deborah Hickok and other neighbors are thankful no one was hurt however her cat Bo was frightened by the fire and sirens this morning and ran away.  She is praying for his safe return.

Copyright 2012 WXTX. All Rights Reserved. 

Powered by Frankly