Apartment fire blamed on discarded smoking material - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Apartment fire blamed on discarded smoking material

News Leader 9 has more details on the fire that displaced families and destroyed homes last week.

The fire at the Avalon Apartments has been ruled a misuse of smoking material, says Columbus Fire Chief Ricky Shores.  

A cigarette was left on the balcony of the fourth floor and ruled an accidental fire. 

The fire moved quickly into the attic. 

It has also been determined there is $500,000 worth of damage done to structure.

Six units were damaged by fire and 18 units damaged by water alone. 

Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • NASA issues warning: You may have a bad pair of eclipse glasses

    NASA issues warning: You may have a bad pair of eclipse glasses

    Friday, July 21 2017 11:22 AM EDT2017-07-21 15:22:03 GMT
    The path of the total solar eciipse on August 21, 2017 crosses directly over Columbia and the Midlands. (Source: NASA)The path of the total solar eciipse on August 21, 2017 crosses directly over Columbia and the Midlands. (Source: NASA)

    As the world, the United States, and South Carolina prepared for arguably the coolest celestial event in decades, our old friends at NASA want you to know that pairs of unsafe solar eclipse glasses are being distributed. 

    More >>

    As the world, the United States, and South Carolina prepared for arguably the coolest celestial event in decades, our old friends at NASA want you to know that pairs of unsafe solar eclipse glasses are being distributed. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly