(WTVM) - A product in many nurseries has a hidden risk that's prompted the federal government and manufacturers to take action.
Baby monitors are aimed at protecting children, but there's a potential hazard that wouldn't even occur to most caregivers.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said at least seven children have died in the last decade as a result of strangulation from baby monitor cords.
"Children are curious, they'll reach out if they can get it within their grasp, and that cord ends up their neck and strangling them," said Inez Tenenbaum, of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The CPSC and the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association urge parents to keep baby monitors out of reach, never inside or on the edge of a crib or playpen and preferably more than three feet away.
"That's not just true for electric line cords on monitors," said Rick Locker of JPMA. "That's true for drapery cords and window blinds and any other corded equipment around the nursery. Keep them out of the child's reach."
Also part of the effort are warning labels affixed to baby monitor cords and other corded devices, so that any caregiver is reminded to place it far from baby's grasp to avoid future tragedies.
Visit the Baby Monitor Safety website for more information.