Ga. man recovering from West Nile - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Ga. man recovering from West Nile

(WTVM) -

A south Georgia man remains hospitalized with the West Nile virus after four cases were confirmed in one week.

Southwest Health District officials confirmed three cases in Dougherty County and one in Lee County, bringing the total in that area to five this year.

Two of those patients have been diagnosed with West Nile encephalitis which is the most severe form.

"In very healthy persons you may not even know that you're carrying the virus, as in about 80 percent of the cases," said Jacqueline Jenkins, Southwest Health District epidemiologist. "But the other 20 percent, some of the symptoms, the most severe is encephalitis, facial paralysis, that kind of thing."

Health officials urge you to remove standing water from your property to reduce breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

If you have to be outside, use repellent with DEET or wear long sleeves and pants.

Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly