PD: Atlanta Falcon arrested, appeared under the influence - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Police: Falcons' John Abraham arrested, appeared under the influence of alcohol

Abraham leaving the Fulton County Jail early Tuesday Abraham leaving the Fulton County Jail early Tuesday
Abraham's mug shot Abraham's mug shot

Atlanta Falcons defensive end John Abraham was arrested for obstructing police and firefighters during an emergency call at Atlantic Station on Monday night and appeared to have been drinking, according to Atlanta police.

Abraham was released from the Fulton County Jail early Tuesday after police said he refused to leave a taped-off scene during the medical emergency at the 12 Hotel.

It all started with a dramatic scene where an unidentified woman was dangling from the balcony railing at the hotel.

"I just saw the girl dangling, she was, like, was switching her hands and swinging her legs," said witness Nikki Hightower. "I had to walk away because I thought at one point she was about to jump."

Atlantic Station security, Atlanta police and Atlanta Fire and Rescue crews rushed to the scene to help the woman. They were able talk her back into the building, but on the streets below, the drama involving Abraham unfolded.

"Officers roped off the area and they set that perimeter and we had a male come through that tape and he refused orders to get back on the other side of the tape," said Officer John Chafee with the Atlanta Police Department. "He was ordered by firefighters that were on scene, also by security that was on scene and then by Atlanta police. After he refused to leave our scene, he was placed under arrest without event."

According to the police report, Abraham told police that he owned property in the building. Police said they did not believe that the incident involving Abraham had anything to do with the emergency at the hotel.

On Sunday, the Falcons scored a huge win against the San Diego Chargers. CBS Atlanta News caught up with Abraham in the locker room after the game.

"It was a good win, but you know, we gotta celebrate for 24 hours and then it's over with," Abraham said.

But Monday night, Abraham's 24 hours of celebration ended in handcuffs.

"He appeared to be under the influence of alcohol," Chafee said. 

Abraham was charged with two misdemeanor charges: Obstruction of firefighters and obstruction of police. Online records showed he had a $7,000 bond.

The Atlanta Falcons released a statement late Monday night which said, "We are aware of the news regarding John Abraham. We are in the process of gathering more information and we will have no further comment at this time."

Abraham was the second Falcon to be arrested within the last week.

On Sept. 18, running back Michael Turner was charged with speeding and DUI in Gwinnett County.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly