South Georgia Tech student dies suddenly on campus - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

South Georgia Tech student dies suddenly on campus

AMERICUS, GA (WTVM) -

On Thursday, a teenager who just began school at South Georgia Tech met with a tragic accident on campus that ended her life.

What's worse, her 2-year-old son was there to witness it.

Investigators are still trying to piece together exactly what happened, and they still don't have a clear answer, but one thing is certain: this is a very unusual situation.

The water has been shut off at the fountain in the center of campus after the incident that claimed the life of 18-year-old student, Adriana Rhine.

Flags at the school fly at half mast in memorial of her passing.

A sheriff's vehicle will be posted at the scene through Monday and caution tape warned everyone to stay away from an unidentified danger.

Friends tell me that yesterday, Rhine was playing with her son in the shallow water when she suddenly collapsed.

"I'm gonna miss my friend. I'm not gonna have anyone to ride with. She came over my house everyday. I'm gonna miss her. Now her child has to go through something like this. And her baby doesn't even understand what's going on. Nobody understands. She was only 18. She was trying to get her life right. She was going to school to get her GED. All of a sudden this happens," said Decha Bell.

Right now Rhine's sister Jasmine is taking care of her young son, Zi-Quan.

Family says he is too young to truly grasp the gravity of the situation.

A boy will grow up without his mother because of a tragedy that no one could have predicted or protected against.

An autopsy was conducted by the coroner Friday, but the results were inconclusive.

No one knows what caused Rhine to die, but the school made a statement referring to the death as an unfortunate accident, which suggests this may have been something other than natural causes.

Additional testing will reveal the answer in weeks to come.

 

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:34 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:34:33 GMT

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly