Positively Georgia: Building homes for America's bravest - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Positively Georgia: Building homes for America's bravest

Posted: Updated:
  • NEWSMore>>

Female soldiers invited to apply for ranger school

Tuesday, September 16 2014 7:24 AM EDT2014-09-16 11:24:03 GMT
    The army is opening its doors to female soldiers looking to attend ranger school.More >>

Muscogee County School Board approves redevelopment referendum

Tuesday, September 16 2014 7:21 AM EDT2014-09-16 11:21:09 GMT
    It was unanimous for the Muscogee County school board Monday night, agreeing to team up with the city of Columbus in giving a boost to under-developed areas. This comes just seven weeks before the publicMore >>
    It was unanimous for the Muscogee County school board Monday night, agreeing to team up with the city of Columbus in giving a boost to under-developed areas. This comes just seven weeks before the public will vote on the Redevelopment of Powers Law.More >>

When disciplining a child goes too far

Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:57 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:57:08 GMT
    Pending child abuse charges against star Minnesota Viking running back Adrian Peterson has brought spanking back under public scrutiny after photos of his bruised child surfaced. News Leader 9's Brittany Dionne spoke with local experts to find out when spanking becomes abuse. More >>
ATLANTA (CBS46) -

Metro Atlanta has a chance to make a difference in the lives of two Georgia veterans wounded in war. Building for America's Bravest will build each a custom home as a way to honor the amputees, but they could use your help.

Cpl. Todd Love and Michael Schlitz have eternal pride for our country. Love served in the Marine Corp in Afghanistan. Schlitz was in the Army in Iraq.

"I was third generation," Love said.

"I fell in love with the military. I loved the life," Schlitz said.

Each of their worlds changed while on tour. Love lost both legs and an arm after stepping on an IED.

"When they found me, my legs were already gone to the waist. I don't know how they kept me alive, but there must have been someone sitting there praying," Love said.

Schlitz was burned over 85 percent of his body and lost both of his arms. He still faces more surgery. Schlitz is the sole survivor in the attack on his vehicle.

"I could feel flames hit my face. I realized I was on fire. Up until that point I had no idea. I thought that was going to be it. I thought that's how it was going to end for me," Schlitz said.

The main thing that's changed in the eyes of the men is the word used to describe them, hero. It's their actions and sacrifice that is being honored with a home. A home tailored to their needs, whether it's reaching the dishes or controlling the shades.

"It's going to make my life much easier. It's going to give me independence. It's going to allow me to take care of myself," Love said.

"It's very humbling. I'm just very grateful," Schlitz said.

Actor Gary Sinise and his Lt. Dan Band will put on a benefit concert Nov. 3 at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Alpharetta, to raise money to build both men a house. One will be in Paulding County, the other in Columbus.

The program, Building for America's Bravest is a partnership between non-profits Tunnel to Towers Foundation and the Gary Sinise Foundation.

Home Depot has promised a $200,000 donation to help build Love's home.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

• Most ReadMost ReadMore>>

Funeral home offers drive-thru visitation

Monday, September 15 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:01:25 GMT
    Owners of a local funeral home decided to make saying your final goodbyes a little more convenient.More >>

Columbus Police searching for motor vehicle theft suspects

Monday, September 15 2014 10:53 AM EDT2014-09-15 14:53:57 GMT
    Columbus Police are requesting the public's assistance identifying three suspects responsible for two unrelated motor vehicle thefts.More >>

CPD searching for robbery suspect

Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:17 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:17:08 GMT
    Columbus police need your help identifying suspects involved in a robbery. The attached pictures were taken from surveillance footage from the M&N package store on Cusseta Road.       More >>
Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.