'Overdue' AZ Scout troop located after MCSO search - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

UPDATE

'Overdue' AZ Scout troop located after MCSO search

Scouts reuniting their parents late Sunday afternoon. Scouts reuniting their parents late Sunday afternoon.
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

A group of Boy Scouts who failed to return from their hike late Saturday afternoon was found by a Maricopa County Sheriff's Office search team and airlifted from the Four Peaks region Sunday.

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Brandon Jones told CBS 5 the agency first sent a search-and-rescue team to find the six Scouts and their two leaders Saturday morning. But that effort was called off after the group indicated to the helicopter crew that they were OK.

Jones said some parents called back Sunday still concerned, so deputies launched a team along with a helicopter to reach the Scouts.

Sheriff's officials tell CBS5 the helicopter crew flew the Scouts and their leaders out, but say everyone was in good health. Jones said the only issue is the group may have run out of water.

MCSO says it's not clear why the Scouts' leaders originally waved off the helicopter.

Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:34 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:34:33 GMT

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly