ATLANTA (AP) - The state education department is urging Georgia school officials to evaluate the potential threat posed by carbon monoxide after lethal levels of the gas were found in an Atlanta elementary school, where more than 40 children and some adults were sent to hospitals.
Georgia law does not require carbon monoxide detectors in schools, but some districts are moving ahead anyway with plans to add them.
A school official says they will be installed in more than 20 schools in the 24,000-student Bibb County school system, 1 of Georgia's largest.
In a memo sent to school systems across the state this week, the Georgia Department of Education encouraged officials to evaluate potential exposure to carbon monoxide in school facilities.
In Atlanta, Finch Elementary School reopened Friday, four days after the leak there.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A man wanted on charges in a kidnapping and shooting in Alabama is under arrest in New Jersey after a traffic stop. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police say an officer pulled over 23-year-old Birmingham...More >>
Efforts to let patients legally access pot are slowly taking root in the South, two decades after California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana. This year's renewed push in South Carolina is bolstered...More >>
Authorities say a Georgia police officer responded to the wrong house and shot and injured the homeowner. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said in a news release that Henry County police asked the agency to...More >>
Police have identified the pilot who was killed in a fiery crash of a small plane in suburban Atlanta. Cobb County Police said Sunday that 78-year-old Robert George Westlake died in the crash Friday evening. The Cessna...More >>