One person injured, home heavily damaged in Saturday fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

One person injured, home heavily damaged in Saturday fire

Posted: Updated:
  • NEWSMore>>

  • LaGrange woman hit by juvenile with cast iron skillet

    LaGrange woman hit with skillet by juvenile

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:15:06 GMT
    The LaGrange Police Department says an 88-year-old woman was struck in the head with a cast iron skillet by a male juvenile. Police say on July 27, at approximately 4:43 a.m., the Patrol Division respondedMore >>
    The LaGrange Police Department says an 88-year-old woman was struck in the head with a cast iron skillet by a male juvenile.More >>
  • Mom shoots at burglar trying to steal her car

    Mom shoots at burglar trying to steal her car

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:28 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:28:43 GMT
    A Columbus woman catches a man trying to steal her car and fires back literally. The car theft gone wrong happened late Friday evening. News Leader Nine's Tyrone McCoy caught up with the victim.More >>
    A Columbus woman catches a man trying to steal her car and fires back literally. The car theft gone wrong happened late Friday evening. News Leader Nine's Tyrone McCoy caught up with the victim.More >>
  • News 9 MD: New technology can help stop seizures

    News 9 MD: New technology can help stop seizures

    Thursday, July 31 2014 8:13 PM EDT2014-08-01 00:13:06 GMT
    Epilepsy is a chronic neurological condition that affects more than two-and-a-half million Americans. Uncontrollable seizures plague their lives and the only treatments were drugs and major surgeryMore >>
    Epilepsy is a chronic neurological condition that affects more than two-and-a-half million Americans. Uncontrollable seizures plague their lives and the only treatments were drugs and major surgery... but there are new therapies are on the horizon.More >>
SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -

One person was sent to the hospital following a fire in northern Smith County on Saturday afternoon.

The fire started around 1 p.m. off of County Road 314, that is near Tyler State Park.

Red Springs Fire Department was the first on scene and called in backup when they saw the home fully engulfed with smoke that could be seen for miles. 

Eventually, there were five departments all battling the fire, which took about an hour and a half to contain. Red Springs Fire Chief Tim Thompson confirmed one person was taken to the hospital with severe burns. 

Despite all the manpower, Lindale's Fire Department's Assistant Chief Clay Williamson said there were all of factors working against them.

"The wind had a little factor of it feeding the fire, make it bigger, make it hotter. Other than that, the water supply for fire hoses was a little limited for us,"  Williamson said.

Williamson said they used a foam system to suppress the rest of the ambers and even though the fire was out, the smoke would probably continue for the next couple of hours.

He said fire crews would monitor the property to make sure the fire did not spark back up.

Officials say the cause of the fire was spilled gas igniting from a dropped match in the garage. The young boy who dropped the match was the person that was injured. The extend of his injuries are not yet know at this time.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.