Family safe, pets perish in Avondale house fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Family safe, pets perish in Avondale house fire

Posted: Updated:
(Source: CBS 5 News) Avondale firefighters said a malfunctioning clothes dryer started the fire that spread into the attic. (Source: CBS 5 News) Avondale firefighters said a malfunctioning clothes dryer started the fire that spread into the attic.
(Source: CBS 5 News) Two birds and a cat died from smoke inhalation. (Source: CBS 5 News) Two birds and a cat died from smoke inhalation.
  • NEWSMore>>

  • Homeless man found dead near railroad tracks

    Homeless man found dead near railroad tracks

    Thursday, July 17 2014 9:49 AM EDT2014-07-17 13:49:05 GMT
    The body of a homeless man was found Tuesday morning on the railroad tracks near Fifth Avenue and 16th Street in Columbus. Muscogee County Coroner Buddy Bryan has identified the 62-year-old victim but saysMore >>
    The body of a homeless man was found Tuesday morning on the railroad tracks near Fifth Avenue and 16th Street in Columbus.More >>
  • LaGrange woman hit by juvenile with cast iron skillet

    LaGrange woman hit with skillet by juvenile

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:15:06 GMT
    The LaGrange Police Department says an 88-year-old woman was struck in the head with a cast iron skillet by a male juvenile. Police say on July 27, at approximately 4:43 a.m., the Patrol Division respondedMore >>
    The LaGrange Police Department says an 88-year-old woman was struck in the head with a cast iron skillet by a male juvenile.More >>
  • Mom shoots at burglar trying to steal her car

    Mom shoots at burglar trying to steal her car

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:28 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:28:43 GMT
    A Columbus woman catches a man trying to steal her car and fires back literally. The car theft gone wrong happened late Friday evening. News Leader Nine's Tyrone McCoy caught up with the victim.More >>
    A Columbus woman catches a man trying to steal her car and fires back literally. The car theft gone wrong happened late Friday evening. News Leader Nine's Tyrone McCoy caught up with the victim.More >>
AVONDALE, AZ (CBS5) -

An Avondale family was able to escape unharmed from a house fire that claimed the lives of the family pets early Friday morning.

Avondale firefighters said a malfunctioning clothes dryer started the fire that spread into the attic. Extensive damage was done to the interior of the house, a firefighter told CBS 5 News.

The mother, father and one child were inside but got out safely. Two birds and a cat died from smoke inhalation, according to firefighters.

No other information was immediately available.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.