Columbus man dies in house fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Columbus man dies in house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • NEWSMore>>

  • Columbus resident turns 100

    Columbus resident turns 100

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:04 AM EDT2014-08-20 11:04:03 GMT
    A Columbus resident is celebrating a century milestone.       Lillian Johnson turned 100-years-old on Sunday, Aug. 17. She's the oldest living member in her family, and the next oldest will be 90 inMore >>
    A Columbus resident is celebrating a century milestone.       Lillian Johnson turned 100-years-old on Sunday, Aug. 17. She's the oldest living member in her family, and the next oldest will be 90 inMore >>
  • St. Francis Hospital takes Ice Bucket Challenge

    St. Francis Hospital takes Ice Bucket Challenge

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 6:56 AM EDT2014-08-20 10:56:07 GMT
    St. Francis Hospital in Columbus is taking part in the challenge. On Tuesday, President and CEO Robert Granger and other members of the hospital's leadership team stood by as the ice cold water streamed
    More >>
    St. Francis Hospital in Columbus is taking part in the challenge. On Tuesday, President and CEO Robert Granger and other members of the hospital's leadership team stood by as the ice cold water streamed down their backs.More >>
  • Uptown Columbus previews fall event series

    Uptown Columbus previews fall event series

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 6:53 AM EDT2014-08-20 10:53:03 GMT
    There will be plenty to do in Uptown Columbus this fall. Uptown Columbus announced their fall event series on Tuesday. Some events will be coming back this season, such as "Blues, Brew And Q," the popular
    More >>
    There will be plenty to do in Uptown Columbus this fall. Uptown Columbus announced their fall event series on Tuesday. Some events will be coming back this season, such as "Blues, Brew And Q," the popular concert series and the continuation of Saturday Market Days. More >>
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -

Broken glass, soot-stained siding, and scorched window treatment were the remnants left at the home on Hood Street in Columbus where 52-year-old Clarence Holt called home for nearly five years.

Holt died from suspected smoke inhalation Friday morning and is Columbus' first fire fatality of 2013.

We spoke to the owner of the home, who says the man died in his favorite room in the house.

Fire Chief Ricky Shores says units were on the scene in minutes but it was too late. 

"Upon arrival the units found smoke [coming] from the gable vents of the home," Chief Shores said. "They proceeded to force entry into the home where they were able to locate a victim."

It was through a window in the sunroom that firefighters pulled Holt from the burning home.  Holt was pronounced dead shortly after 8 a.m. at the Medical Center.

Chief Deputy Coroner Freeman Worley said it appeared he died of smoke inhalation.

Chief Shores would not elaborate on which part of the house the fire started in or what could have started it; however, from the outside it looked like the sunroom could have taken most of the damage.

We spoke with Holt's land Lord Mary Vanleer she doesn't live in Columbus anymore but said the last time she spoke to Holt he told her he liked to sleep in the sunroom the most.

It took about 10 minutes to get the fire under control, according to Chief Shores.

"It sustained moderate fire and smoke damage," Shores said.

Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.