Fire guts BR apt. after person falls asleep while cooking - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Fire guts apartment after person falls asleep while cooking

Posted: Updated:
The fire destroyed one unit and damaged three others. The fire destroyed one unit and damaged three others.
  • NEWSMore>>

  • Be There: Scholarship Signing Day

    Be There: Scholarship Signing Day

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:14 PM EDT2014-04-24 01:14:08 GMT
    Some scholastic students in Columbus are being honored for the hard work. National signing day for scholars is coming up soon.  News Leader 9's Roslyn Giles introduces you to three outstanding seniors in
    More >>
    Some scholastic students in Columbus are being honored for the hard work. National signing day for scholars is coming up soon.  News Leader 9's Roslyn Giles introduces you to three outstanding seniors in this week's Be There, our partnership with the Muscogee County School District on teachable moments.More >>
  • UPDATE: Five hour hostage situation at Trumbull County jail ends; Correctional officer safe

    Hostage situation inside Trumbull Co. jail

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:10 PM EDT2014-04-24 01:10:42 GMT
    A hostage situation inside Trumbull County jail at this hour.More >>
    A hostage situation involving a group of prisoners and a guard at the Trumbull County Correctional Institution has ended with the rescue of the guard.

    Officials tell 19 Action News it ended around 8:30 P.M. Wednesday evening, and the guard was not hurt.
    More >>
  • Muscogee County participating in 2014 National Drug Take Back Initiative

    Muscogee County participating in 2014 National Drug Take Back Initiative

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:08 PM EDT2014-04-24 01:08:05 GMT
    Several pharmacies across Columbus have receptacles available this month as part of the National Drug Take Back Initiative. The Muscogee County Sheriff's Office is partnering with the US Drug EnforcementMore >>
    Several pharmacies across Columbus have receptacles available this month as part of the National Drug Take Back Initiative. The Muscogee County Sheriff's Office is partnering with the US Drug EnforcementMore >>
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Fire officials said flames destroyed an apartment after someone fell asleep while cooking Thursday morning.

The fire sparked at the Warren House Apartments on Airline Highway in Baton Rouge around 8:30 a.m.

Investigators said the person living there was awakened by smoke and noticed the pot that had been left on the stove was on fire. Firefighters said the occupant tried to put out the fire, but only made it spread.

Fire gutted that apartment and damaged the walkway outside. The units on both sides and the one above had light to moderate smoke and heat damage.

There were no injuries.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.