Ft. Benning soldier’s wife recalls Boston Marathon attack while - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Ft. Benning soldier’s wife recalls Boston Marathon attack while husband ran for his life


Imagine one minute cheering on your husband in one of the most famous marathons in the country and the next minute you hear a loud boom that shakes the street and your world.

A Fort Benning soldier's wife found herself crammed into the basement of a popular electronics store with no idea whether or not her husband running in the Boston Marathon was dead or alive.

Stephanie Anderson has been married to her husband for nearly a decade.  Anderson said the day started out full of excitement.

"It was a great day; everyone was happy- incredible crowd. You couldn't ask for a better day," Anderson said.

Anderson's husband was unable to get clearance to speak to us.

He was less than a mile away from the finish line when everything came to an abrupt halt.

"Everybody thought it was cannon because it was Patriots Day and we couldn't really see anything; we saw a little bit of smoke but we weren't sure. We looked down to see the runners and they were still running," Anderson said.

Shortly after the first blast a second explosion occurred closer to Anderson.

"I was relatively very close to that one which basically shook my whole body and I thought, that's not a cannon," Anderson explained.

Along with the strangers she'd cheered with for most of the day, Anderson took off running in the opposite direction not sure if they were next in line.

"We kept just kind of running down [the street]. One of the stores had their doors opened and they were escorting the people in saying, come into the basement, get into the basement right away," said Anderson.

She sat alongside hundreds of strangers in the basement of an Apple computer store.

Anderson said the fear of the unknown took over as she thought about her two little girls waiting here back home.

She frantically tried to make calls but they continued to get dropped. One of her calls to her children finally went through; she said the babysitter told her that it was a believed terror attack, all the while she still had not spoken to her husband.

"He didn't have a phone, he didn't know where he was," Anderson said.

Anderson's husband was able to call her from an AT&T store.

Making her way through unknown streets, past bloodied runners and spectators, Anderson found her husband.

"When we saw each other it was like a movie. He ran towards me and I was standing there. We gave each other the biggest hug," Anderson said.

Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.


Powered by Frankly