Lighting up: E-cigarette charger sparks car fire in AZ - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Lighting up: E-cigarette charger sparks car fire in AZ

Posted: Updated:
  • NEWSMore>>

  • Ground broken for new Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA facility in Midland

    Ground broken for new Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA facility in Midland

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:16 PM EDT2014-08-28 03:16:07 GMT
    US legislators, local officials, and health representatives broke ground on a new facility in Midland on Wednesday, Aug. 27.  The new 235,000 sq. ft. Blue Cross Blue Shield building will be the officeMore >>
    US legislators, local officials, and health representatives broke ground on a new facility in Midland on Wednesday, Aug. 27.  The new 235,000 sq. ft. Blue Cross Blue Shield building will be the officeMore >>
  • More details: Double homicide suspect turns himself in

    More details: Double homicide suspect turns himself in

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:49 PM EDT2014-08-28 02:49:07 GMT
    Attorney William Kendrick said his client Brandon Conner, 35, has expressed his feelings about the awful incident that's happened to his son and girlfriend. It's a horrible crime he's now accused of commMore >>
    Attorney William Kendrick said his client Brandon Conner, 35, has expressed his feelings about the awful incident that's happened to his son and girlfriend. It's a horrible crime he's now accused of committing.More >>
  • Teen shooting suspect turns himself in

    Teen shooting suspect turns himself in

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:39 PM EDT2014-08-28 02:39:07 GMT
    A suspect sought in connection to a murder and accused of shooting at three Columbus teens has turned himself in to police. Columbus police tell us 18-year-old Terrance Streeter, also known as Worm, turnMore >>
    A suspect sought in connection to a murder and accused of shooting at three Columbus teens has turned himself in to police. Columbus police tell us 18-year-old Terrance Streeter, also known as Worm, turned himself in to police around 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday.More >>
PEORIA, AZ (CBS5) -

Plenty of people charge cell phones at night when they're sleeping or leave a charger plugged in when they're not there. But that inattention proved devastating for a Peoria couple when an e-cigarette left in a car charger sparked a fire.

Unlike a regular cigarette, electronic cigarettes don't use smoke to deliver the nicotine, only vapor. There's a battery inside that heats up a magnetic coil to create the vapor. Still, this couple thought nothing of it when they left it in their car to charge.

"I put it into the cigarette lighter and this red light comes on to let you know it's charging," said Jennie Burton.

She and her husband, Lee, headed to the hospital for an appointment and left their electronic cigarette to charge while they were inside. The appointment lasted a couple of hours, longer than expected.

"We get a call over the loud speaker of the hospital: 'Lee Burton, go to your car,'" Jennie Burton said.

Jennie Burton went outside and realized that the electronic cigarette was not as harmless as she thought.

"All of a sudden, I see the hood of the car that's raised, it's orange, you can't miss it, and two or three fire trucks and about 20 guys," Jennie Burton said.

The car had caught fire, and though it was out by the time Jennie Burton got outside, the damage was already done.

"This just shot out into the back seat and created the fire," Jennie Burton said, pointing to the tip of the electronic cigarette. "It started smoldering like a hot cigarette and created the fire."

The fire was caused by "a small lithium battery that is commonly found in cameras, camcorders, things of that nature," said Michael Young with the Glendale Fire Department.

He said they believe the lithium battery inside the electronic cigarette exploded. He said this is the first case he's seen, but as more people start to use electronic cigarettes - and as the weather heats up - he said you should never leave them unattended.

"The fact that this was contained to just the back seat, she's extremely lucky," Young said.

While the Burtons are happy everyone's safe, they want to warn other people.

"If someone was in the back seat and that projected to the back, we have grandchildren, I mean, how many other people that are using these could that happen to?" Jennie Burton asked.

CBS 5 News emailed the manufacturer of the e-cigarette, Ego-T, Wednesday afternoon and has yet to hear back.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.