$8 million bond for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

$8 million bond for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro

Ariel Castro in court Ariel Castro in court
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight

The man suspected of holding three women captive inside his west side home for years was in court on Thursday morning.

Ariel Castro, 52, is charged with four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape. Castro did not speak a word, and hung his head during much of the court proceeding. His bond was set at $8 million dollars. [Charging documents]

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were rescued from Castro's Seymour Avenue home on Monday. The women had been held against their will and sexually assaulted for years.

Berry went missing in 2003 a day shy of her 17th birthday. DeJesus disappeared as she walked home from school in 2004 at the age of 14. Knight went missing in 2002 at the age of 21.

Before a crush of media and massive cheering crowds, Berry and DeJesus returned home on Wednesday. Knight was readmitted to the hospital and is listed in good condition.

Deputy Chief Ed Tomba said the women only left the house two times in 10 years. Both times they went from the house to the garage, and they were in disguise.

Castro's brothers, Onil and Pedro, will not face any charges at this time. Authorities say Onil and Pedro were arrested only because they were with Ariel at the time of his arrest.

Onil and Pedro did also appear in court on Thursday on the unrelated charges. They were released from jail around 10:30 a.m.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • LocalMore>>

  • More flu cases confirmed, doctors still recommend getting vaccinated

    More flu cases confirmed, doctors still recommend getting vaccinated

    Saturday, January 20 2018 4:32 PM EST2018-01-20 21:32:31 GMT
    (Source: WTVM)(Source: WTVM)
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Dr. Joseph Conklin with Columbus Regional Health said he's already seen his fair share of patients coming into his office, saying they have flu-like symptoms. "We're seeing a fair amount this year," he said. "Maybe a little more compared to last year." Numbers across the country only support his observation. The Centers for Disease Control reported 14,401 confirmed flu cases during the week of January 13, bringing the season's tot...More >>
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Dr. Joseph Conklin with Columbus Regional Health said he's already seen his fair share of patients coming into his office, saying they have flu-like symptoms. "We're seeing a fair amount this year," he said. "Maybe a little more compared to last year." Numbers across the country only support his observation. The Centers for Disease Control reported 14,401 confirmed flu cases during the week of January 13, bringing the season's tot...More >>
  • UPDATE: Fire reported on Cusseta Road

    UPDATE: Fire reported on Cusseta Road

    Saturday, January 20 2018 1:50 PM EST2018-01-20 18:50:10 GMT
    (Source: WTVM)(Source: WTVM)

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - A fire has been reported on Cusseta Road in Columbus. The fire was reported around 1 p.m. Saturday at Victory Park Trailer Homes.  This is a developing story, please check back with News Leader 9 for more updates.  Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

    More >>

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - A fire has been reported on Cusseta Road in Columbus. The fire was reported around 1 p.m. Saturday at Victory Park Trailer Homes.  This is a developing story, please check back with News Leader 9 for more updates.  Copyright 2018 WTVM. All rights reserved. | For more news, download the WTVM app here.

    More >>
  • Rep. Tom Graves releases a statement on the government shutdown

    Rep. Tom Graves releases a statement on the government shutdown

    Saturday, January 20 2018 2:06 PM EST2018-01-20 19:06:43 GMT
    (Source: Tom Graves Instagram)(Source: Tom Graves Instagram)

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Rep. Tom Graves released a statement about his involvement in the government shutdown. Read the full statement below: “I supported the short-term government funding bill that passed the House on Thursday, which delays harmful Obamacare taxes and also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program for six years. The House did its job. The sole reason the government shut down is because Senate Democrats refused to join Senate Republicans t...

    More >>

    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – Rep. Tom Graves released a statement about his involvement in the government shutdown. Read the full statement below: “I supported the short-term government funding bill that passed the House on Thursday, which delays harmful Obamacare taxes and also extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program for six years. The House did its job. The sole reason the government shut down is because Senate Democrats refused to join Senate Republicans t...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly