Ga. woman dies after fire ant bite - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Ga. woman dies after fire ant bite

Posted: Updated:
(WTVM) -

Family and friends of a Georgia woman are mourning her death after doctors say she was killed by a fire ant.

Henny Pomeroy, 65, died this week due to an allergic reaction to the ant's venom. The wife and grandmother was relaxing by the pool when she was bit. 

Allergy specialists say there are steps people can take to prevent the allergy from ever occurring.

"Someone can take allergy shots and within a very short amount of time be desensitize to the fire ant and prevent a serious reaction from ever occurring," says Dr. Alan Redding.

The CDC says look out for vomiting, dizziness, disorientation and wheezing. Officials say if you experience severe chest pain, nausea, severe sweating, or slurred speech, go to the hospital immediately.

Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.