Musicians claim unnecessary force used during arrest - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Musicians claim unnecessary force used during arrest

Posted: Updated:
  • NEWSMore>>

Improving the White Water Classic

Tuesday, September 16 2014 5:35 AM EDT2014-09-16 09:35:06 GMT
    Now that Tuskeegee and Albany State have faced off in the first ever White Water Classic football game, Phenix City leaders evaluate the weekend's events and discuss ways to improve it in the future. NewsMore >>
    Now that Tuskeegee and Albany State have faced off in the first ever White Water Classic football game, Phenix City leaders evaluate the weekend's events and discuss ways to improve it in the future. News Leader 9's Tyrone McCoy has some of those ideas.More >>

Operation D.R.I.V.E. on I-85 promotes safe driving habits

Tuesday, September 16 2014 5:33 AM EDT2014-09-16 09:33:06 GMT
    Operation D.R.I.V.E. is a multi-state patrol on Interstate 85 which keeps an eye on unsafe driving behaviors among commercial vehicle drivers like those texting, following too closely or driving fatigued.More >>

GA Senate candidate speaks about his campaign in Columbus

Tuesday, September 16 2014 5:24 AM EDT2014-09-16 09:24:06 GMT
    State Senator Josh McKoon's opponent is questioning his leadership ability, and now the incumbent is responding. Brian Roslund held a news conference Monday, Sept. 15 in Columbus.More >>
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Two men arrested after a confrontation with police on Lower Broadway are speaking out about what they call "unnecessary force."

The three men are musicians and were loading their equipment into their car. Officers handcuffed and arrested the men after a scuffle that started with a parking ticket.

What happened outside Layla's at 2 a.m. was caught on tape and uploaded to YouTube.

"I didn't do anything," said Matthew Paige from the hood of a police car Friday morning outside Layla's, captured from a video uploaded to YouTube.

Paige said the handcuffs and the arrest were not necessary.

"It was the most absurd amount of aggressive force I'd ever seen," said Paige.

Paige and his friends left Layla's after performing at about 2 a.m. Paige's girlfriend was double-parked on the street because a taxi was in the musician's loading zone.

Metro police wrote her a ticket. Paige said while he was loading gear into the car, he accidentally bumped the officer's car.

"He said, 'You need to watch where you're carrying your stuff, boy. You just hit my cruiser,'" said Paige.

The officer asked for his ID. Paige challenged him and ended up in handcuffs.

Jeffrey Marcum happened to have a camera. He had been shooting video of the band at Layla's. He told police he was taping everything, then he found himself in handcuffs.

"He's yelling at me to back up, so I begin retreating," said Marcum.

Marcum said he did not charge the police, like the report said.

"He continued to come after me, so I started backing up faster," said Marcum. "He shoved me, and you can see the camera go all catawampus."

Marcum, Paige and Galen Mitchell were all arrested on a variety of charges, including resisting arrest and disturbing the peace.

"I could have definitely had better choices of words and not been so loud, but that doesn't justify how physical they got with us," said Marcum.

"I wouldn't have done anything differently," said Paige. "I wouldn't have just stood there and had someone walk all over me because he didn't like the way I dressed or he didn't like the way I moved."

Metro police was unavailable for a response to these comments. Earlier police statements said the incident was being reviewed.

Paige goes to court in late August. Marcum took a plea bargain and was sentenced to probation.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Most ReadMost ReadMore>>

Funeral home offers drive-thru visitation

Monday, September 15 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:01:25 GMT
    Owners of a local funeral home decided to make saying your final goodbyes a little more convenient.More >>

Columbus Police searching for motor vehicle theft suspects

Monday, September 15 2014 10:53 AM EDT2014-09-15 14:53:57 GMT
    Columbus Police are requesting the public's assistance identifying three suspects responsible for two unrelated motor vehicle thefts.More >>

CPD searching for robbery suspect

Tuesday, September 16 2014 5:17 AM EDT2014-09-16 09:17:04 GMT
    Columbus police need your help identifying suspects involved in a robbery. The attached pictures were taken from surveillance footage from the M&N package store on Cusseta Road.       More >>
Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.