Upcoming roads, bridges project largest in Lee County’s history - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Upcoming roads, bridges project largest in Lee County’s history

LEE COUNTY, AL (WTVM) -

It's the largest infrastructure project in Lee County's history. 

An estimated 28 road and bridge improvement projects costing about $20 million will be completed over the next five years.

It's part of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's A-TRIP initiative, or Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation Improvement Project.

City and county leaders say it's time to act before roads become hazards.

 "We have seen major infrastructure failures in other parts of the country, some of these areas are 50 years old and they are starting to fail," said Roger Rendleman, Lee County Administrator.

A-TRIP will provide 80 percent of the funding, and local governments will contribute the remaining 20 percent. 

Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.

  • LocalMore>>

  • Columbus residents react to federal government shutdown

    Columbus residents react to federal government shutdown

    Monday, January 22 2018 6:29 AM EST2018-01-22 11:29:15 GMT
    (Source: WTVM)(Source: WTVM)

    The federal government shutdown is in its second day, and both sides are refusing to stand down ahead of the Senate vote on Monday. 

    More >>

    The federal government shutdown is in its second day, and both sides are refusing to stand down ahead of the Senate vote on Monday. 

    More >>
  • Family honors cold case victim 20 years after her death

    Family honors cold case victim 20 years after her death

    Sunday, January 21 2018 3:43 PM EST2018-01-21 20:43:56 GMT
    (Source: Family)(Source: Family)
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – It's a murder case gone cold for 20 years. Columbus Police Department investigators said they're still working to find out who shot and killed 37-year-old Laura Mae Chaney in 1998.   Chaney's body was discovered early morning on Jan. 4 - her body, riddled with bullets outside an apartment in what was then called Peabody Apartments off Talbotton Road. The neighborhood has since been remodeled and named Ashley Station. CPD...More >>
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – It's a murder case gone cold for 20 years. Columbus Police Department investigators said they're still working to find out who shot and killed 37-year-old Laura Mae Chaney in 1998.   Chaney's body was discovered early morning on Jan. 4 - her body, riddled with bullets outside an apartment in what was then called Peabody Apartments off Talbotton Road. The neighborhood has since been remodeled and named Ashley Station. CPD...More >>
  • Winners drawn in Heart Raffle at Mercedes-Benz fundraiser

    Winners drawn in Heart Raffle at Mercedes-Benz fundraiser

    Sunday, January 21 2018 3:10 PM EST2018-01-21 20:10:26 GMT
    (Source: Tony Sloan/WTVM)(Source: Tony Sloan/WTVM)
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – It's a lucky day for two people in the Columbus area who won the 2018 Heart Raffle. It's the 15th year of the event and representatives of Mercedes Benz says that this year's raffle is its biggest yet. "To date, we've raised over six-hundred thousand for the Heart Association. It's the fifteenth year we've done this and the most successful year. We sold 2,515 tickets which is all that we have to offer," says Mercedes of Columbus GM Richard Joyner...More >>
    COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) – It's a lucky day for two people in the Columbus area who won the 2018 Heart Raffle. It's the 15th year of the event and representatives of Mercedes Benz says that this year's raffle is its biggest yet. "To date, we've raised over six-hundred thousand for the Heart Association. It's the fifteenth year we've done this and the most successful year. We sold 2,515 tickets which is all that we have to offer," says Mercedes of Columbus GM Richard Joyner...More >>
Powered by Frankly