PD: 15-year-old shoots man 4 times days after killing officer - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

PD: 15-year-old shoots man 4 times days after killing officer

A 19-year-old man now uses a wheelchair after he said he was shot four times at his birthday celebration Aug. 19 by a 15-year-old boy accused in the shooting death of a detention officer. (Source: CBS 5 News) A 19-year-old man now uses a wheelchair after he said he was shot four times at his birthday celebration Aug. 19 by a 15-year-old boy accused in the shooting death of a detention officer. (Source: CBS 5 News)
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

On Aug. 10, a birthday celebration ended in gunfire and forever changed the life of a 19-year-old we'll call John.

"My day is a struggle because I can't do anything by myself," John said.

According to a police report, it was 3 a.m. when 20 unwanted guests showed up looking for a fight.

They were asked to leave. That's when 15-year-old Leonard Moreno hit him with a beer can, John said. He turned around to confront him. That's when John said Moreno pulled a gun.

"I was like 15 feet away and he shot me. I don't remember feeling anything until my friends picked me up," John said.

Moreno is accused in the shooting death of Maricopa County Sheriff's Office detention officer Jorge Vargas two days before.

In the midst of the chaos John's girlfriend, who we will refer to as Desiree, was standing just inches away.

"When he fell to the floor I just fell with him. I got scared and I was hugging him and there was blood everywhere. He was shooting at everyone. He shot the cars, the house, everything," Desiree said.

At the hospital doctors say John almost died four times on the operating table but pulled through. He's out of the hospital but his road to recovery has its challenges.

"My left leg, I don't feel it. They told me it could take years," John said.

But news that his alleged shooter is behind bars lifted his spirits.

"Hell, yeah, I'm glad he's arrested," John said.

John said the night he was shot was the first time he had ever met Moreno.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Accused serial rapist and killer undetected working as cop

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 11:02 AM EDT2018-04-26 15:02:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.

VIDEO: Walmart customer gets tired of waiting, gets on store intercom to ask for help

Wednesday, April 25 2018 4:00 PM EDT2018-04-25 20:00:13 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:27 PM EDT2018-04-25 22:27:16 GMT

Forrest Hunter wanted to buy a hunting license and was tired of waiting for help.

Texas gang member executed for killing girl, grandmother

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:55 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:55:40 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 1:23 AM EDT2018-04-26 05:23:56 GMT
    (Texas Department of Criminal Justice via AP). This undated photo provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Erick Davila. Attorneys for the Texas death row inmate want the U.S. Supreme Court to halt his scheduled execution this week fo...(Texas Department of Criminal Justice via AP). This undated photo provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Erick Davila. Attorneys for the Texas death row inmate want the U.S. Supreme Court to halt his scheduled execution this week fo...
    Attorneys for a condemned Texas prisoner are asking the US Supreme Court to halt his execution for killing a young girl and her grandmother in 2008.More >>