House fire kills father, son - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

House fire kills father, son

Posted: Updated:
According to preliminary information, L.J. yelled to his son Carl and daughter Denise to get out of the house when the fire began. According to preliminary information, L.J. yelled to his son Carl and daughter Denise to get out of the house when the fire began.
Investigators say Morrow recently told church members that he had some problems with light fixtures. Investigators say Morrow recently told church members that he had some problems with light fixtures.
The family is well known in the community, particularly at Immanuel Baptist Church, where L.J. was a deacon. The family is well known in the community, particularly at Immanuel Baptist Church, where L.J. was a deacon.
PANOLA COUNTY, MS -

(WMC-TV) - A house fire in North Mississippi claimed the lives of a father and son Monday night. L.J. Morrow, 85, and his son Carl Morrow, 55, died after a fire ripped through their house near Curtis Station in rural Panola County.Denise Morrow, 53, made it out of the home alive.Multiple fire crews were called to the scene to help with the fire.

According to preliminary information, L.J. yelled to his son Carl and daughter Denise to get out of the house when the fire began. It is unclear why the father and son did not make it out of the house.

Sidney Burns fought back tears for his Uncle L.J. and cousin Carl. Burns rushed to the scene after closing his BBQ shop in nearby Batesville.

"I love him, and he will be missed," said Burns. "There was traffic backed up for a mile back there. That's just how well Uncle L.J. was known ... When they hear something like that they're coming to find out what happened."

Burns was relieved to learn his cousin Denise escaped to safety. She told family members her brother Carl ran back inside after their father but never saw them return. She ran down the road where a passerby called for help; seven fire departments dashed in.

The family is well known in the community, particularly at Immanuel Baptist Church, where L.J. was a deacon.

"I don't think L.J. , his daughter and son missed a day missed a Sunday at church. Whenever the doors was open he was there," said resident Dennis Pearson. "I hate it, because he was a good man, and they were good people."

Investigators say Morrow recently told church members that he had some problems with light fixtures. Fire officials are looking into the possibility that the blaze was caused by an electrical problem.

EMA Director Daniel Cole says the chief of Curtis Locke Station Volunteer Fire Department was hurt by falling debris. He was treated at Tri-Lakes Medical Center in Batesville and released.

"The house was a total loss," said Cole.

For a family that believes in the power of prayer, they say they need it now more than ever as they prepare to bury two loved ones.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.