Burke County fatal fire ruled an accident - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Burke County fatal fire ruled an accident

Posted: Updated:
  • NEWSMore>>

  • Homeless man found dead near railroad tracks

    Homeless man found dead near railroad tracks

    Thursday, July 17 2014 9:49 AM EDT2014-07-17 13:49:05 GMT
    The body of a homeless man was found Tuesday morning on the railroad tracks near Fifth Avenue and 16th Street in Columbus. Muscogee County Coroner Buddy Bryan has identified the 62-year-old victim but saysMore >>
    The body of a homeless man was found Tuesday morning on the railroad tracks near Fifth Avenue and 16th Street in Columbus.More >>
  • Police search for Opelika Circle K robbery suspects

    Police search for Opelika Circle K robbery suspects

    Saturday, July 26 2014 3:00 AM EDT2014-07-26 07:00:12 GMT
    Police are searching for two suspects after an armed robbery occurred at a gas station on 2nd Ave. in Opelika, Ala. on Thursday, July 24. The incident was caught on surveillance footage. According toMore >>
    Police are searching for two suspects after an armed robbery occurred at a gas station on 2nd Ave. in Opelika, Ala. on Thursday, July 24. The incident was caught on surveillance footage. According toMore >>
  • Auburn woman arrested, charged with child abuse

    Auburn woman arrested, charged with child abuse

    Saturday, July 26 2014 2:48 AM EDT2014-07-26 06:48:08 GMT
    A 20-year-old Auburn woman has been arrested on charges of aggravated child abuse.  The Auburn Police Division arrested Melanie R. Mitchell on a felony warrant on Thursday, July 24. The arrest is the resMore >>
    A 20-year-old Auburn woman has been arrested on charges of aggravated child abuse.  The Auburn Police Division arrested Melanie R. Mitchell on a felony warrant on Thursday, July 24. The arrest is the result of a complaint of child abuse that was reported to police on Tuesday, July 22. More >>
WAYNESBORO, GA (WFXG) -

UPDATE:

A family in Waynesboro is picking up the pieces, after a fire Sunday morning ripped apart their home.

Fox 54 was told four people were in the house, but one didn't make it out alive.

The Red Cross Augusta Chapter said they're making sure the family doesn't lose one more thing-hope.

An anonymous neighbor said, "They're good people. They lost everything."

That neighbor said he was shocked when a fire broke out Sunday morning around 4A.M. and killed his friend, 33-year-old Andrew Sursson.

Waynesboro Fire Department Deputy Chief Robert Parrish said, "He was found in the bedroom. The fire was in the living room and the kitchen. There wasn't a way for him to make it to the doorways."

Three other people, two adults and a six-year-old, made it out ok. But officials said there wasn't a working smoke detector in the home.

Chief Parrish said, "The adult male that made it out had to break a window and go through it. From what I understand, he somehow got back inside and took the child out."

The Red Cross Chapter of Augusta said they're taking it from here and are making sure the family is taken care of.

Jennifer Pennington, Executive director, Red Cross Augusta Chapter

Red Cross Augusta Chapter Executive Director Jennifer Pennington  said, "We're able to provide financial assistance so they can buy brand new clothing, purchase the food they need and have a place to stay."

Currently, the family is staying in a hotel. Neighbors said right now, they think emotional support will be key.

One anonymous neighbor said, "I'm just really sad about this whole situation. I'm just going to support them all I can and just stick by their side."

An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday in Atlanta. Preliminary reports suggest the fire started after Sursson started cooking and fell asleep.

__________________________________

Officials said a Sunday morning fire that killed a Burke County man appears accidental.

Andrew Lenair Sursson, 33, died in the fire at 710 Savannah Avenue. Fire Investigators believe that unattended cooking by Sursson may have started the blaze.

Officials said the duplex home was heavily damaged by the blaze. The fire call was reported at 4:36 a.m.

Two adults and a 6-year old child were also in the home at the time of the fire , but escaped unharmed.

This is the 95th reported fire fatal in Georgia for 2013. Fourteen of those deaths are a direct result of unattended cooking.

Copyright 2013 WFXG. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.