Columbus Fire Dept. teaches students about fire safety - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Columbus Fire Dept. teaches students about fire safety

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -

Stop, drop, and roll: that's what dozens of students were taught today by the Columbus Fire Department as they turned up the heat in their mobile fire safety house.

The safety house made its stop at Forrest Elementary on Tuesday morning, teaching young students what to do if they were to get caught in a home full of smoke.

News Leader 9 spoke with Shirley Howe, the school's assistant principal, who told us why it's important her students are taught these life-saving techniques.

The Columbus Fire and EMS Department will also be making stops later this month at Waddell and Georgetown elementary schools to teach students there how to be safe during a fire.

They will visit Waddell Elementary School, located at 6101 Miller Road, on Monday October 21 at 9 a.m. They will then visit Georgetown Elementary School, located at 954 High Lane, on Thursday October 31 at 9 a.m.

Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:34 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:34:33 GMT

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>
  • Video shows Midlands restaurant employee pulled by her hair

    Video shows Midlands restaurant employee pulled by her hair

    Friday, May 26 2017 5:41 PM EDT2017-05-26 21:41:50 GMT

    An employee of a popular restaurant at the Village at Sandhill is facing charges after authorities say he grabbed a server by her hair and pulled her to the ground. 

    More >>

    An employee of a popular restaurant at the Village at Sandhill is facing charges after authorities say he grabbed a server by her hair and pulled her to the ground. 

    More >>
  • Accidental drowning kills 20-year-old

    Accidental drowning kills 20-year-old

    Saturday, May 27 2017 6:30 PM EDT2017-05-27 22:30:20 GMT

    A body found on Biloxi Beach Saturday morning has been identified and the death has been ruled accidental.

    More >>

    A body found on Biloxi Beach Saturday morning has been identified and the death has been ruled accidental.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly