Residents at Travel Inn say they are sick after meth explosion - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Residents at Travel Inn say they are sick because of meth explosion

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

They had to evacuate their rooms after a meth lab explosion. Now, people who live in the Travel Inn in Lebanon are facing another frightening experience. They say they're sick from the chemicals.

"My daughters kept on asking me, ‘Mama, what's that smell?'" said Sarah Hall. "I kept saying, 'Baby, I don't know.' Then they started getting real raspy in the chest." 

Hall and her family have been living in a room just a few doors down from the explosion. They went to University Medical Center Saturday, one week after it happened.

"They gave me these papers and they said it was from the meth lab," Hall said.

Dewey Merritt, who lives next door to the Halls, says his two children have been sick too.

"They inhaled exposure from the meth lab and that's exactly what that doctor told me it was from," he said.

The Tennessee Methamphetamine Task Force quarantined the room where the explosion happened and the rooms on either side. The Halls think more needs to be done.

"I think the meth task force needs to come out and look at all the rooms instead of their focus on just this one room," said Patrick Hall, Sarah Hall's brother. "Because, when the explosion happened, everything was exposed out into the air."

Sunday afternoon, the Lebanon Police Department says no one had reported any sickness to them in regards to the explosion. They say a certified meth tech determined the areas that needed to be quarantined, but they say they need to know if people are sick. Police say knowing this information will help bring tougher charges in the investigation against the suspects.

Meanwhile, the hotel residents are blaming the hotel management for putting them in the rooms.

"The caution tape keeps getting moved further down,'' Patrick Hall said. "They won't move our room."

"I'm mad about it because my children are in danger. My husband is in danger. My mom and dad's in danger," said Sarah Hall.

The Halls say they want to leave soon, but as of now, they have nowhere else to go.

Police say it is up to the hotel managers to have the quarantined areas cleaned and inspected before they can be deemed safe again.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.