Phoenix FD: faulty e-cigarette likely to blame for fire that inj - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Exclusive

Phoenix FD: faulty e-cigarette likely to blame for fire that injured Vietnam vet

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy of Vicki Orman Courtesy of Vicki Orman
  • NEWSMore>>

  • Seale, AL residents enjoy return of Labor Day Fair

    Seale, AL residents enjoy return of Labor Day Fair

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 3:29 AM EDT2014-09-02 07:29:08 GMT
    Residents in east Alabama are rounding up the Labor Day celebration at one of the Alabama's oldest courthouses. The courthouse located in Seale, Ala. is the third oldest in the state. This is the first fair
    More >>
    Residents in east Alabama are rounding up the Labor Day celebration at one of the Alabama's oldest courthouses. The courthouse located in Seale, Ala. is the third oldest in the state. This is the first fair since 2010 when the fair restarted, and it originated in 1980 to raise money to refurbish the old courthouse after it began to deteriorate.More >>
  • Columbus woman speaks out about domestic violence

    Columbus woman speaks out about domestic violence

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 3:23 AM EDT2014-09-02 07:23:03 GMT
    A Columbus woman is speaking out about domestic violence. She speaks about her near death experience and the fight to regain control of her life.More >>
    A Columbus woman is speaking out about domestic violence. She speaks about her near death experience and the fight to regain control of her life.More >>
  • Lee Co. Sheriff’s Office investigating murder, attempted murder cases

    Lee Co. Sheriff’s Office investigating murder, attempted murder cases

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 3:09 AM EDT2014-09-02 07:09:03 GMT
    On August 31 at about 11:33 p.m. CST, the Lee County Sheriff's Office received multiple 911 calls from subjects attending a poker party in reference to a shooting with at least two injured gunshot victims. More >>
    On August 31 at about 11:33 p.m. CST, the Lee County Sheriff's Office received multiple 911 calls from subjects attending a poker party in reference to a shooting with at least two injured gunshot victims. 

     
    More >>
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

CBS 5 News has told you about two different electronic cigarette-related fires, here in the Valley, during the past six months.

In April, an exploding device caused a car fire in Glendale.

Then in August, a "Smokin' T" e-cigarette is believed to have caused a small apartment fire in Phoenix.

Nobody was hurt in either of those fires.

But, now we're learning of a house fire in Phoenix last week that injured a Vietnam veteran.

Dale Orman said his wife quit smoking just a few months ago with the help of "Smokin T" e-cigarettes.

He said that same device ended up nearly taking his life and heavily damaged much of their home.

"Hell, on cigarettes they've had a warning since 1963 or1964 that it causes cancer," Orman pointed out. "They should have warnings on this. They (e-cigarettes) cause fires."

Orman blames his wife's overheated "Smokin' T" e-cigarette chargers for starting two fires in their bedroom within a matter of days.

"They just exploded," he said.

Orman said, each time, they'd only been charging for about 20-minutes.

"I asked her ‘why did you do it (buy another e-cigarette) again?" Orman said. "She said, well I thought it was okay. It wouldn't happen again. It was just a faulty one."

He said the first fire just scorched the carpet.

The second fire on Oct. 16 gutted the bedroom of their Sunnyslope area home.

The rest of the house has heavy smoke and water damage.

"I got halfway to the TV and it was four-foot of flames, four-foot of black smoke," Orman said. "I knew if I took another step, I had had it."

But, he said he was forced to go back in to the house to save a pet.

"Vicky had been squirting water from the hose into here (bedroom) and she said one of our dogs she couldn't find, so I had to go back in after her," Orman said.

Everyone made it out of the house, but, Orman spent three days in the Arizona Burn Center where he was treated for smoke inhalation.

"I'm still not feeling as good as I should," he said.

Orman is urging other people to find alternatives to e-cigarettes and manufacturers to take a close look at the safety of their products.

"They're selling unsafe stuff," he said. "I wouldn't use them. I really wouldn't, because this could happen to you."

Captain Gary Hernandez with the Phoenix Fire Department told CBS 5 News preliminary findings show all evidence and burn patterns, at the Orman home, point to a malfunction or flaw in an electronic cigarette.

CBS 5 News is awaiting a response from the manufacturer of the "Smokin' T" Smokin Time, about the safety of their product.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.