Congressman Sanford Bishop now cancer free

(WTVM) - In order to keep the citizens of the 2nd Congressional District fully informed, Congressman Sanford D. Bishop, Jr. (GA-02) released the following statement regarding the successful conclusion of his temporary health issue:

"As many of you know, in September of 2013 I was diagnosed with cancer in my neck and throat. Armed with my faith in the awesome healing power of God, starting on September 24 I began an intensive regimen of chemotherapy which concluded November 4, designed to dissolve and kill the cancer cells so that the surgery to follow would require the removal of significantly less tissue from my neck and throat. My doctors at George Washington University Hospital had carefully searched for other areas of my body that might have been involved and found that it was limited to my neck. Dr. Robert Siegel, Director of Hematology and Oncology at George Washington University Hospital directed the chemotherapy.

"During this process, thanks to great cooperation among my medical team at the Attending Physician's Office at the Capitol, the George Washington University Hospital medical team in Washington, and our great Congressional staff, this was accomplished without my having to miss a single vote or major event during this phase of my treatment. In fact, The Congressional Military Family Summit, a major event hosted by our Congressional office at The National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center in Columbus, Georgia on November 6, went forward with my full participation and was without question one of the best events we have produced.

"My surgery was scheduled for November 26 during the Congressional Thanksgiving Recess in order to minimize the inevitable down-time from hospitalization. Dr. Nader Sadeghi, Professor of Surgery and Director of Head and Neck Surgery at George Washington University Hospital performed the surgery which lasted more than 8 hours. He removed the primary tumor from the back of my mouth and removed 91 lymph nodes from both sides of my neck. The surgery was successful and without any complications and four days later I was discharged from the hospital to recuperate at home. I missed only two weeks of votes in the House of Representatives, the final two weeks before adjournment in December.

"Analysis of the tissue removed during surgery revealed that the chemotherapy had successfully destroyed the cancer cells and that I am now cancer free with no need for further treatment! Only periodic monitoring on a declining basis over the next 5 years will be required. To God be the glory!

"I am now back at work as your Representative and looking forward to continuing my ministry of public service to the people of the 2nd District of Georgia, now and for years to come. I will continue to wear my hair bald for an indefinite period as an expression of solidarity with cancer patients and survivors with whom I have shared a mutual chemotherapy experience.

"My wife, Vivian, and our entire family would like to express our profound gratitude to all for your overwhelming outpouring of prayers and support. Our faith in God and your expressions of kindness gave us strength as we moved through the difficult period of treatment and recovery. Truly the fervent effectual prayers of the righteous availleth much. As the beneficiary, I can—and do—bear witness!"

To read Congressman Bishop's initial statement regarding his temporary health issue, please click here.

Copyright 2014 WTVM. All rights reserved.