SMITHS STATION, AL (WTVM) - It is still unknown at this time what caused a house to catch fire in Smiths Station on Thursday evening.
The family was not home when the house caught fire. Witnesses say the woman who lived in the home was relieved when rescue crews brought out her deceased father's military flag. They say it was wet and covered in soot but not burned.
The Crawford Fire Department was in charge of the fire and the Salem Volunteer Fire Department assisted in transporting water.
No word yet on how much damage was caused by the flames.