2 lawsuits filed after carbon monoxide poisoning - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

2 lawsuits filed after carbon monoxide poisoning at Lubbock motel

Posted: Updated:
  • NEWSMore>>

  • LaGrange woman hit by juvenile with cast iron skillet

    LaGrange woman hit with skillet by juvenile

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:15:06 GMT
    The LaGrange Police Department says an 88-year-old woman was struck in the head with a cast iron skillet by a male juvenile. Police say on July 27, at approximately 4:43 a.m., the Patrol Division respondedMore >>
    The LaGrange Police Department says an 88-year-old woman was struck in the head with a cast iron skillet by a male juvenile.More >>
  • Mom shoots at burglar trying to steal her car

    Mom shoots at burglar trying to steal her car

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:28 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:28:43 GMT
    A Columbus woman catches a man trying to steal her car and fires back literally. The car theft gone wrong happened late Friday evening. News Leader Nine's Tyrone McCoy caught up with the victim.More >>
    A Columbus woman catches a man trying to steal her car and fires back literally. The car theft gone wrong happened late Friday evening. News Leader Nine's Tyrone McCoy caught up with the victim.More >>
  • breaking

    Police searching for gas station shooting suspect

    Police searching for gas station shooting suspect

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:17 PM EDT2014-08-01 02:17:54 GMT
    News Leader 9 was on the scene after a man was shot at the Big Cat Gas Station on Buena Vista Road Thursday night. The victim said he was approached by the suspect, who opened fire and shot him. The vicMore >>
    News Leader 9 was on the scene after a man was shot at the Big Cat Gas Station on Buena Vista Road Thursday night. The victim was approached by the suspect, who opened fire and shot him. The victim was also carrying a gun and returned fire, but did not hit the suspect. He was taken to the hospital, and his condition is unknown at this time.More >>

Two lawsuits have now been filed in connection with a deadly carbon monoxide leak at a Lubbock motel.

One is for $10 million dollars against the owners of the Budget Motel on East 34th street.

A family member of Harold Rutherford says the hotel was negligent and he is seeking damages.

Rutherford was found dead in one of the motel's rooms last week.

Investigators say carbon monoxide leaked into the room from a faulty heating unit.

Latiesha Ruth was found in the same room.

First responders rushed her to UMC, where she spent eight days recovering.

She has also filed suit against the motel owners.

Her attorney tells us they need some questions answered.

Attorney Chad Inderman said, "The goal with a case like this is to figure out why it happened and keep it from every happening again - and then to hold the responsible party accountable."

Inderman says Ruth is still suffering from breathing problems.

He did not release a specific amount that they're seeking.

RELATED STORY: 1 dead after carbon monoxide poisoning at Budget Motel

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.