Anniston woman killed after cigarette ignites oxygen tank - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Anniston woman killed after cigarette ignites oxygen tank

Posted: Updated:
Julie Smith, 52, died after a cigarette ignited her oxygen tank at her home on Alexandria Road, Anniston police said. Source: WBRC video Julie Smith, 52, died after a cigarette ignited her oxygen tank at her home on Alexandria Road, Anniston police said. Source: WBRC video
ANNISTON, AL (WBRC) -

Anniston police say a woman was killed over the weekend when her oxygen tank ignited.

Sergeant Chris Parks said the woman died of thermal burns. Sgt. Parks said it appears she was lighting a cigarette when the cigarette ignited the oxygen that was used to help her breathe.

Coroner Pat Brown identifies the woman as 52-year-old Julie Smith. Brown confirmed that Smith died from thermal burns.

It happened in early Saturday morning on Alexandria Road. The fire did not spread too far in the home.

Copyright 2014 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.