Eufaula mayor explains why police killed passenger at traffic st -, GA News Weather & Sports

Eufaula mayor explains why police killed passenger at traffic stop

Cameron Massey. Cameron Massey.

It's taken nearly six months, but now we're finally learning the answers to questions we've been asking about an officer involved shooting in Eufaula.

News leader nine's Dante Renzulli received official written statements about that deadly incident on Highway 431 that occurred in mid-October of 2013.

After listening to testimony for a second straight day, a grand jury is recommending not to seek criminal charges against several Eufaula police officers who were involved in the shooting death of Cameron Massey.  

According to witnesses at One Stop Wrecker Service, Massey started out in the passenger seat of a car that was pulled over for a traffic stop in their driveway.  

Eufaula mayor, Jack Tibbs explained Wednesday what happened between the initial stop and the fatal shots being fired.

Witnesses originally said the driver was out of the vehicle at this time and being detained in handcuffs.   Mayor Tibbs said that man was charged with marijuana trafficking because police found seven pounds in his trunk.

In a written statement, Mayor Tibbs said, "During the encounter, Mr. Massey caused the vehicle he was in to accelerate away, dragging one of the officers...The officers fired upon Mr. Massey to stop the imminent deadly threat posed by Mr. Massey's actions.

This directly corresponds with what witnesses originally told us about an officer leaning halfway into the driver's side window as the vehicle was in motion. It also explains why officers felt Massey was endangering one of their lives even though Massey's family has been insistent that he didn't have possession of a gun at the time.

We attempted to get some reaction from Cameron Massey's family after the decision Wednesday, but even though they have been very outspoken in the past- organizing marches and public protests - not one person wanted to make a statement.

Eufaula mayor Jack Tibbs said all of the officers involved in this incident have been on paid administrative leave awaiting this grand jury decision, including the chief of the department himself.  

According to the mayor, the chief just happened to be near this scene when the call for back-up was dispatched and was one of the first responding officers.

They are all back to work, effective immediately.

The family's attorney was not a part of Wednesday's proceedings, but he said he plans to represent them in a separate civil lawsuit to be filed against the city in the future.

Related: Man killed by officer in Eufaula died from multiple gunshot wounds

Related: Man killed during traffic stop, mother passed scene on way to visit him

Copyright 2014 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly