Neighbor helps family to safety during house fire - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

Neighbor helps family to safety during house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • NEWSMore>>

  • Seale, AL residents enjoy return of Labor Day Fair

    Seale, AL residents enjoy return of Labor Day Fair

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:26 AM EDT2014-09-02 09:26:01 GMT
    Residents in east Alabama are rounding up the Labor Day celebration at one of the Alabama's oldest courthouses. The courthouse located in Seale, Ala. is the third oldest in the state. This is the first fair
    More >>
    Residents in east Alabama are rounding up the Labor Day celebration at one of the Alabama's oldest courthouses. The courthouse located in Seale, Ala. is the third oldest in the state. This is the first fair since 2010 when the fair restarted, and it originated in 1980 to raise money to refurbish the old courthouse after it began to deteriorate.More >>
  • Boy, 1, drowns in West Point Lake

    Boy, 1, drowns in West Point Lake

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:07 AM EDT2014-09-02 09:07:06 GMT
    A baby is dead after drowning in a west Georgia lake this weekend. Troup County Sheriff's Officials say deputies were called to West Point Lake after a 911 call Sunday afternoon.More >>
    A baby is dead after drowning in a west Georgia lake this weekend. Troup County Sheriff's Officials say deputies were called to West Point Lake after a 911 call Sunday afternoon.More >>
  • Lee Co. Sheriff’s Office investigating murder, attempted murder cases

    Lee Co. Sheriff’s Office investigating murder, attempted murder cases

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:06 AM EDT2014-09-02 08:06:04 GMT
    On August 31 at about 11:33 p.m. CST, the Lee County Sheriff's Office received multiple 911 calls from subjects attending a poker party in reference to a shooting with at least two injured gunshot victims. More >>
    On August 31 at about 11:33 p.m. CST, the Lee County Sheriff's Office received multiple 911 calls from subjects attending a poker party in reference to a shooting with at least two injured gunshot victims. 

     
    More >>
PHENIX CITY, AL (WTVM) -

Six people are without a home after a house fire broke out at 8:30 Monday morning on 19th Street in Phenix City.

The homeowner said she was at work when the fire started, but her family was home. Her husband and daughter tried throwing buckets of water on the flames and when that didn't work they got out.

"I was over next door at one of my tenants house, checking on him and I heard a commotion," said neighbor Richard Dansby.

Dansby smelled smoke and ran to help. He went to the middle room where the fire started and found the grandmother, too scared to leave. Dansby guided her out, and then went back for her caged dog.

"No, the dog didn't make it. It was no way, the smoke was so bad when I went in there, I mean it was unbelievable," Dansby said. "I mean there was no way you could see anything."

Emergency crews arrived and put the fire out. The American Red Cross also responded and is assisting the family.

A representative says nothing in the home is salvageable. Their priority now is helping the family get back on their feet, starting with a pair of shoes.

When asked whether he felt like a Good Samaritan today Dansby said, "as long as somebody's got by and living...yeah."

Residents believe the fire was caused by faulty electrical wires. However, there is no official word yet on a possible cause.

Copyright 2014 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1909 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Ga. 31906

FCC Public File
publicfile@wtvm.com
706-494-5400
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WTVM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.